Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Twinery Challenge



I have been trying to find more challenges to participate in and this week The Twinery announced their first bi-monthly challenge.  I love Polka Dots so I was very excited to come up with something.  I chose to make a card using their Bakers twine in 3 colors, Pink Sorbet, Denim and Lemondrop.  They have so many colors to choose from and I happen to have a variety of them.  The prize pack for this challenge includes a sampler of their colors and a rubber stamp set.

Here is how my card turned out.

I love the pom pom's, they are easy to make using a plastic fork.  I know I have seen this technique on Pinterest. You just wind the twine around the fork several times, I think I counted 10 then tie off as usual.  I did try to cut the loops as I was taking them off the fork, made it easier to get the scissors in there.  Tie off as tight as possible, it will make for a better pom pom.  I then started fluffing, wetting my fingers to untwist the strands of twine.  It takes a little time but it's worth it.  I also gave each a trim at least once which helps them to fluff up.  

I was excited to use some Perfect Pearls that I just purchased and I thought the colors were fun.  The polka dot panel was done using VersaMark watermark ink.  I did not have the Perfect Medium but will be investing in some soon.  The VersaMark dries fairly quickly where as the Medium is made to stay wet longer so you are able to work with it.  I embossed the cardstock with the large dot embossing folder then "inked" it with the watermark ink.  This is how it looks when its wet.


I then used a soft paint brush to fill every Polka Dot with a color.  I tried placing the black directly on the pink cardstock but it was too bland so I added the yellow card stock positioned askew to give it a fun element and to showcase the black.  After adhering the black to the yellow I wound the same three bakers twine colors around randomly to give it a little more fun feel.  I think this would be perfect for a little girl's birthday.

I stamped the Happy Birthday on a separate piece of cardstock and used foam squares to give it dimension.  I then stamped the sentiment on the inside choosing again to use the yellow cardstock on top of the pink.


I have another Polka Dot idea and since you can enter as many as you like I may make a second one too.  The deadline for the Second Challenge of the month...deadline 11:59pm EST the 28th of the month.  So get your supplies out and challenge yourself to a polka dot project, you might win this great prize package!

3 comments:

  1. Such a fun card...LOVE the pompoms! Thanks for playing along with The Twinery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to feature polka dots. Thanks for joining us at The Twinery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card - love those pom poms!
    Great take on the polka dot challenge!

    - Tifany
    http://inkblotsbytrd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete